Updating Theme for WP 5

Home Forums All Other Themes Updating Theme for WP 5

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    procopiaprocopia
    Participant
    • Topics: 8
    • Replies: 17
    • Total: 25

Hi Shri,
    I want to update the theme SKT Banking on my webite to be ready for Gutenberg. There is no update button like all other WP Themes usually have. You wrote that one should choose another theme and then upload the new SKT Banking theme and then activate it. This is not possible, because if I try to upload the new Banking theme I get an error message that the target folder /wp-content/themes/banking-sector/ already exists and the upload fails.

So I really do not know how to update an SKT theme. Why do you make things so complicated and don´t deliver a simple update button like all other WordPress Themes have?

And if I overwrite my theme with the new update, will I lose all my theme settings? I think the update would set everything to default and all my settings get lost an it will mess up my customers websites as I read in this forum from many people.
    How can I update my theme (without destroying the webite)???

procopiaprocopia
    Participant

Hi Shri,
    why don´t you answer my question? I am a paying customer, why don´t you provide any support?

Regards,
    Thomas

Sonnal S SinhaSonnal S Sinha
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 6964
    • Total: 6974

Hi,

All the current themes are already upgraded to WordPress 5.0 gutenberg.

Download the current one and activate some other theme and upload and activate the new theme.

That is how the update process works.

Regards,
    Shri

procopiaprocopia
    Participant

Hi,
    but as I wrote, if I try to upload the new theme there comes an error message “The target folder /wp-content/themes/banking-sector/ already exists” and the upload fails. It is simply not possible to upload the new theme.
    When you say upload the new theme – do you mean an upload via FTP or from the WordPress backend? Please advise.

Regards,
    Thomas

Keymaster

Hi Thomas,

You have to activate some other theme and delete the old theme.

And then upload and activate the new theme.

I did write these steps above as well.

Regards,
    Shri

procopiaprocopia
    Participant

Hi Shri,

you did not write that I should delete the old theme first. But anyway, if I delete the old theme I would lose all the settings and individual configuration of my customer´s website. I would have to set up the website again from the beginning. How can I avoid this? Please advise.

Regards,
    Thomas

Keymaster

Deleting theme does not delete its data from the database so when you again add the new theme it takes all the old settings of the previous theme.

Take a backup of your website and try it.

Regards,
    Shri

procopiaprocopia
    Participant

It does not delete its data, but it deletes all changes that have been made to the functions.php, header.php etc. So I guess I will have to work with a child theme, if I want to avoid this in the future?

Regards,
    Thomas

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.